Featured Posts of 2019

CD 6:Ice breaker

I'm a stickler for punctuality.I don't like being late.My problem is that I'm usually too early.So,a few months ago,it was my first day working as a TA.I'd met the teacher a couple of weeks back for about five minutes.The rest of our correspondence had been through mail.Frankly,I just had a vague memory of what she looked like.

She asked me to come to class at 10AM.For some reason,I was exceedingly nervous that day.Probably because it was a class of 100.All strange,new faces.How was I ever going to learn their names and faces!I was intimidated by the thought.As always,I was ready a lot earlier.I spent an hour or so pacing about and reassuring myself.Finally at 10,I headed to the class.

I checked the room number twice and when I was sure I had the right room,I opened the door.It's a huge classroom.I see people everywhere.There were 5-6 guys standing right near the door.For a moment,I have this paranoid thought that I'm in the wrong class.I ask the one nearest to the door:"English class,right?".He confirms it.Now I'm a little calmer and look again.There are half a dozen students at the podium and they're in the middle of presenting something.

I try and look for the teacher.Finally,I see her.She's at the other end of the classroom.I have no idea what I'm supposed to do so I call out to her. "Ma'am".She takes one look at me and says "You're 45 minutes late.Come back next week."

I'm nonplussed.Did she say 9.15 in the mail? I wonder.And then,it dawns on me.She thinks I'm a student."Ma'am,I'm the TA",I say.She thinks I'm giving her some excuse for being late."Sorry,bye-bye.Go away now",she says.For a minute,I seriously contemplate running away.I'm already mortified.:P In the meanwhile,the entire class knows that I'm not a student.They find it extremely hilarious.They're all laughing at this mix-up.

I say for the second time:"I'm the TA,Ma'am".This time,she hears me.And she's very embarrassed.She shakes hands with me and apologizes saying she didn't remember how I looked since we met a long time ago.She also says there's someone who looks like me and that's why she was confused.I doubt that,but I let it pass.

The laughter still hasn't died down.All of a sudden,the hilarity of the situation strikes me.I find myself laughing with the rest of the class.The ice is broken.She asks me to introduce myself. I take the mike,all the while thinking They've already had quite an introduction.

Quite an entrance that was! I still laugh thinking of "You're 45 minutes late".

Comments

Post a Comment