Featured Posts of 2019

A lifetime tryst

"It's time" he said looking solemnly at me. I sorrowfully contemplate the drastic change if I were to agree. "Not yet. Give me a couple of years. I promise to be ready by then".

Two years later : I need more time.

Four years later : One more year,I swear. I will move on.

Five years later : Actually, I think I'll never be ready. This is going to last me an entire lifetime and I'll still be wishing for more time.

I write this as I return from yet another trip to the bookstore. I'm talking about making the transition from fiction to non-fiction. Yeah, you heard that right :P

I'm hopelessly in love with fiction. I've been reading for more than one and a half decades now and there's no sign of diminishing interest or boredom. No proverbial thirst for something more meaningful.

I must easily have 500 books at home. Must have read over a thousand. So many that I no longer remember the titles. I end up buying a previously read book and realize my folly somewhere towards the end.

My parents had forbidden books citing myopia, lack of space, money and everything else they could think of. They tried to tell me that I'd read enough. Enough? I'd barely gotten started. I need seven lifetimes or multiples thereof. :P Later,having realized the futility of their actions,they let me buy books again.

All serious readers have told me to start non-fiction.There's one small problem--I can't get to the end of my reading list for fiction. It goes on and on. There are still authors who I want to read. There are others I've been reading and want to complete. Then, there are the ones I haven't even heard of --the uncharted waters.:D And when it comes to choosing between fiction and non-fiction,fiction always gets my vote.

Am I ever going to read non-fiction? At this point,it looks doubtful.:P

P.S:This was written on Sunday.My journey came to an end and so did the article.If the end feels abrupt,  this is why:P 

If any of you read non-fiction and you can think of a truly wonderful book to start with,please leave a comment.I promise to try reading!

Comments