Featured Posts of 2019

More to her than meets the eye!

This is for a close friend.She once told me she'd love to read what someone thinks of her.Because that would give her an insight into how others see her.I completely agree--being able to see yourself from someone's perspective is refreshing.Which is why I'm writing this:)

I met her on the day of admissions.She spoke to me.Surprisingly,we had a lot in common.We both were from Bangalore.A hazy Kannada-Tamil(hers includes Hindi too) background with a love for English.We discussed school,college,work and family.I kept thinking we'd eventually run out of topics,but somehow we didn't.We had lunch together.I was alone then and didn't know a soul.We had almost 4 hours to kill before the next meeting or whatever.

We again started talking.I brought up books thinking I'd get the usual I don't read.Surprise! She turned out to be a bookworm.She'd read every book I mentioned.Till date,she's the only person I've met who's read more than me:D .Turns out she's also watched more movies and series than I'll ever be able to.Time flew by and it was evening.She went home and I suddenly felt the silence.That's when I realised that in my head she was already a friend.

We all ridicule stereotypes.We say we don't judge people.The truth is,we form an opinion of people the moment we meet them.We don't wait to get to know them.That way,the first day I met her,I thought she was nerdy and serious.Traditional,earnest,sincere were the words I'd have associated with her had I been asked to.

In a week,that opinion was gone with the wind.I thought of her as the cool,talkative,friendly creature who didn't let anything get to her.She wasn't scared of anyone.She could get along with everyone.She always spoke her mind.Again,I was wrong in many ways.

Since then,I have spent quite a lot of time with her.Especially the long long walk:P Each time,I learnt something new about her.Something that contradicted my previous opinions.

She has a way with metaphors:) She described me this way,and I quote You're like the calm lake--peaceful,serene.But also like the ocean--deep,secretive,ancient.By that I mean that you're wise beyond your years.(She writes extremely well.I was intimidated to be writing an essay alongside her last semester!)

We've had conversations about everything on earth--some of them random,some of them deep and poignant.And sometimes,I felt like I didn't know her at all.Is this the same girl who jokes around all the time,I used to wonder.She was an enigma.

In some ways,she still is.But now,I know her well enough.I have seen the person beneath the charade she puts on for the world to see.And I really like that person and feel privileged to call her my friend:)

P.S:Happy Birthday,Lucky! This is my honest opinion(with its stages of evolution).Hopefully you like it and don't cringe at my pathetic writing.







Comments

  1. Sorry for the late comment... but seriously... It was an amazing week, and it all began with this post... Felt so honored and moved... You are amazing! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So are you:) You're welcome! Has it been just a week? :O
      It feels like a year already:P

      Delete

Post a Comment