Featured Posts of 2019

CD:I don't know my phone number:P

First year of college.Sush and I were in this Kannada class,which noone listens to because it was a non-credit subject.Whatsapp was a novelty during those days.Sitting in front of us were a couple of guys,one of whom suddenly started asking everyone for their phone numbers.He probably wanted to create a class group or something,I have no idea.

At that point,I was a complete introvert.All social media felt claustrophobic to me.And being added to a Whatsapp group was tantamount to being shut inside a dark coffin.At least,that's how I felt.(Now,sadly,I'm a part of so many Whatsapp groups that I find the idea laughable.) Sush felt something along the same lines,I gather.

When this guy turned back and asked me for my number,I thought for a moment.I had two numbers:One which wasn't on Whatsapp and one which was.I'd give out the first number to anyone who asked,whereas this other number was my treasure--about twenty people in the whole world had it.Easy choice.I gave him the number not on Whatsapp.Most people would see that I'm not on Whatsapp and figure that it agreed with my brooding persona.He gave me a missed call so I could save his number and there ended the matter.

Now,he turns to Sush and asks for her number.She looks like a deer caught in headlights.She, sadly has only one number and doesn't want to give it away:D.If she gives one of her family member's number,he's going to give a missed call and they're going to call back,which wouldn't work.Well,you could come up with a thousand excuses for not giving your number.Guess which one she picks! The most ridiculous of them all. "I don't know my phone number".

I do a double-take at this.She's seriously not expecting to get away with this,is she! As can be imagined,the guy finds it extremely amusing and doubles up with laughter.He calls his friend :"Evalige aval phone number gottilvante." The friend in question turns to look at the alien who doesn't know her own phone number.Soon,there are half a dozen people staring at her.She realises that this is going to spread like wildfire unless she stops it.

Wait! I think I have it in my book she says.She opens out one of those ancient antiquated address books making a show of looking up her own number.At this point,even I find it hilarious and can't stop laughing.She finally gives him the number and he calls her.

He laughs again:"Number gottilvante".She stares at him,annoyed.Give it a rest,will you?

Dear Reader,if you're ever in a similar situation,please don't give this excuse.I assure you,it doesn't work.:P

Comments