Featured Posts of 2019

Tribute: The torchbearer of Saraswati Veena

In a post that I wrote ages ago, I spoke about the experience of listening to a musician who brings music alive. I called that experience and article Transcendental. For me and millions of people around the world, she is one such vainika. I talk about none other than the legendary and unparalleled Dr.Jayanthi Kumaresh. She is synonymous with her instrument, the Saraswati Veena.


Jayanthi was born into a family of violinists, (the famous Lalgudi Jayaraman was her uncle) but she chose a different path for herself at the age of 3--the Veena. After more than a decade of rigorous practice, she gave her first stage performance. Jayanthi holds a Doctorate for her work on “styles and playing techniques of the Saraswati veena”. She is married to a famous violinist, none other than Kumaresh ji of the Ganesh-Kumaresh duo. Her performances have brought her worldwide acclaim, numerous awards and titles, the most recent of which is the prestigious Sangeet Shikhar Samman. All this and more, you will find on the internet about this musical prodigy.

But I am here to tell you something more than just her biography. This article is about how I've found a lifelong inspiration in her and her music.

My first encounter with her was a missed one in 2018. She was supposed to perform at a SPIC MACAY concert in my alma mater and I had made plans to attend, because I had heard great things about her. Unfortunately for me, something at work broke that very evening, and I had to abandon my musical plans and take up debug for the better part of the night. I still regret missing that performance.

Thereafter, in the performance laden month of musical Marghazi, I stumbled upon her series called Season of Carnatic on Youtube. Everyday, she would pick up a couple of ragas and illustrate them beautifully, effortlessly. It was done with the best practices of new age learning-- less than ten minutes, engaging and meaningful. I watched them for the entire month, and also stumbled upon her Cup O' Carnatic, a similar series whose episodes I immensely enjoyed. In the process, I got to see glimpses of the person behind the music--humble, down to earth, a radiant being who emanated serenity, poise and grace. Like many other people, I too felt she was Goddess Saraswati incarnate. When she played, she seemed one with the instrument. She had attained enlightenment bestowed by music. I fell in love with both the music and the musician.


Soon after, in February 2020, the opportunity presented itself again. She was to perform in Bangalore on a weekend, and the venue and time were convenient. This time, nothing would deter me. Along with my husband, I set out to watch her live. We reached the venue ten minutes early, and I caught the slightest glimpse of a silk saree and long lustrous hair about four feet ahead of me. A few minutes later, Jayanthi appeared on stage, and I realized it was her I had seen earlier. This performance was a confluence of Veena and Violin, of wife and husband. The collaboration is aptly called Strings attached. It was a musical conversation, in the truest sense. I was once again mesmerized by her, as she challenged the limits of her instrument. As she says: If something cannot be played on the veena, it’s only the limitation of the player and not the instrument.

I came back from her concert even more enchanted with her. I looked up everything I could find on her, every song she had played, every performance of hers, every composition. And she was so may things at once--composer, teacher, researcher, performer, innovator-- she donned a dozen hats and was brilliant at all of them. I found her album Mysterious Duality, which I think is a masterpiece and speaks for her calibre. It is a one of a kind album, where the only instrument used is Veena, where the only artist is Jayanthi. The same instrument, in its myriad forms and sounds, just like the different facets of an individual. I found the music intriguing, the layers coming together harmoniously. I encourage you to listen to it, even if you have no formal musical background.

Now, in this period of anxiety and restlessness, I find solace in Jayanthi's music yet again. I am re-watching her old concerts, listening to various albums of hers as I go through my day. She has recently released a video to describe her journey during this period through music: The journey within. It is a beautiful piece, and does justice to the various emotions we all feel.

I have gained an inspiration for life, someone whose humility, relentless practice and devotion I hope to emulate.
This article is dedicated to the wonderful musician, the torchbearer of the Veena, the serene woman, Dr.Jayanthi Kumaresh. I will forever be grateful to you and your music. :)








Comments