Featured Posts of 2019

The lockdown journal: To stun with clatter a mind that wishes to think*

“To stun with clatter a mind that wishes to think.”


Weak as I am, in order not to let my mind fly away on every wind that blows, yielding to
the slightest breath it encounters, it would be necessary either to have everything motionless
around me, or else, speeding on like a humming top, in movement itself to be rendered
impervious to external things.
Whenever, rotating slowly on myself, I attempt to speed up, the merest nothing—a word, a
story, a newspaper, a visit—stops me, prevents my becoming a gyroscope or top, and can
postpone or forever delay the instant when, equipped with sufficient speed, I might be able to
concentrate within myself in spite of what is around me.
We are obliged to eat, drink, sleep, laze, love; that is to say, to touch the sweetest things in
this life, and yet not succumb. What is necessary is, in doing all that, to make the anti-natural
thought to which one has devoted one’s self remain dominant and continue its impassable
course in one’s poor head. One must make of life a dream, and of that dream a reality.

--Pierre Curie, Excerpted from Madam Curie


I came across this paragraph in a biography of Marie Curie that I happened to be reading. My first reaction was surprise. I had somehow come to think that ours is the century of distractions--social media, online news, mobile notifications, you name it, we have it. Whereas, what could distract a person a century ago? I couldn't think of anything. This paragraph clearly proved that I was wrong. It is just the form of distraction that has changed now, but distractions as such have always been a woe for mankind. The second account on which I was surprised was that a scientist as eminent as Pierre Curie experienced distraction so powerfully. I had always assumed (without consciously realizing it) that people of that technical caliber were immune to anything that took them away from their work. But clearly, I was wrong on that account too.

Now during the lockdown, I can relate to every single word of Pierre's musing. Distractions abound, in every form possible. Just as I start working, the dusty floor calls for my attention, it needs cleaning. Mealtimes always seem to be approaching. Whenever I look at the time, I am reminded of some household chore that needs to be done. There are news articles being published every hour, several proclaiming dire futures. Memes are created every second, and are shared exponentially. Whenever I check my phone, there a dozen messages begging for my attention. Someone debating the reason for our existence. Someone who's bored and looking for conversation. A hundred emails from companies, who want to tell you what they're doing during the epidemic. A baby bawling from the adjacent house. My husband's voice as he attends to his numerous Skype meetings. Added to that, there are the temptations-- ever beckoning alluringly. When my alarm rings at the end of my afternoon power nap, I am so tempted to snooze it. Just 10 minutes, just 20 minutes..and the entire afternoon could vanish if I don't resist. That half-read book that sits folded invitingly on the table. Netflix, prime, TV, multiplayer games, they are all just a slide of willpower away from becoming a full fledged addiction. 

Clatter, clatter, clatter. How does one work? Forget work, how does one even think without being interrupted, sometimes by one's own thoughts on a tangential topic? Pierre Curie says that we should remind ourselves, time and again, every time we feel like succumbing to a distraction, of what it is that we want to do. Of what it is that we want to achieve. That we must paint a picture of what we want to achieve and treasure it as a dream, and then work relentlessly towards it.

In summary, to get distracted is universal. But what differentiates is what we then do. Do we allow ourselves to be drawn in and forget the task at hand? Or do we continually remind ourselves of our goal and course correct once again towards it? And not just once or twice, but persistently and consistently, through days, months and years.

P.S: I can think of more concrete tips than this, but I wish this article to remain as is: an ideal to follow, an inspiration to emulate. I will leave the implementation details to you, Reader! 

*Title credits: Pierre Curie

Comments

  1. Great thoughts. I get reminded of a note that I read in one of the Gita commentaries by an IIMK professor, that getting distracted is normal and coming back to the task in hand is what differentiates people who get things done versus the ones who procrastinate endlessly. People of high caliber are known to get into a "zone" willfully. For us, we may have, on more than one occasion and that's something to treasure.
    There is an evolutionary biology explanation for getting distracted in that this is a survival mechanism of the brain evolved over the years to stay alert and quickly react to dangers in the environment. It's funny. What used to be a matter of life and death is now one of netflix and memes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, Arun! Pleasure to hear your thoughts. Ah, the evolutionary biology explanation makes so much sense and it is funny. I had no idea. Thanks for sharing:)

      Delete

Post a Comment