Featured Posts of 2019

TWC 6:The happily-ever-after

This series was kind of incomplete and I've always wanted to give it a good finish.My social life has somehow taken a hit this year and I've missed out on a lot of things I'd planned to attend.That's probably why I didn't write it sooner.But better late than never,right?

In case you want to read this from the beginning here's the link:
http://virtualramblings10.blogspot.in/2017/02/the-wedding-chronicles-part-1of.html

This happens to be the 99th article of my blog,by the way:)

Where did I last stop? I was not able to make it to the engagement and was really miserable about that.You can read about that here.:D
The rest of the animals however,did attend and had a blast.Thank God for technology.I got a virtual walk-through of the venue(Thanks,Rishi:P) and minute by minute updates with pictures.I heard tons of stories--how gorgeous Ramya looked,how often she changed outfits while poor Arvind was still wearing the same suit,how good the food was,so on and so forth.There was no dearth of gossip, especially something about blue shirts and white shirts:P

Someone was so inspired looking at our new couple that they almost decided to get married next.Someone else missed me so much that they were unnaturally silent throughout. (Actually,was it really about missing me? :P) 
NB:I'm not going to take names coz well,I don't know how all of them will react.So,all of the bride's crew will be referred to as mysterious someones akin to characters in those logical puzzles.Up to you to figure it out.If you want to,that is.

Thereafter,time was a blur and all I remember are dance practices and random weekend meet-ups.Each time the conversation would end up in her upcoming wedding and plans for it.Sometimes,she'd show us things she bought for the wedding.More often,she would just enigmatically mention that her so and so dress would arrive in a few days or something like that.Then,the engagement pictures and video came and we had so much fun looking at them.Someone was clearly standing on tiptoe:P 

I remember this one incident when Ramya had gone out for a bit and Sam and Ranji decided to play with her.They took her phone with them and locked the door from inside,pretending to see her pictures.That was one epic moment.Ramya was ready to break the door down.Poor Ramesh was sleeping and came out wondering why people were screaming their heads off.(Wait,I don't remember if it was this time or some other time.I just remember this guy waking up and looking at us all as if we'd lost it:D) Obviously,they didn't see any of her pictures.But it was fun seeing Ramya's reaction.

Many a weekend was spent on these dance practices.The few that I attended,I just sat in one corner of the sofa and kept texting,while they all gave me accusing glances from time to time.Three and a half pairs,they'd say,all because of you.If you join,we'll be four proper pairs.Me--eyeroll.Three and a half or three quarter.I'm not dancing:P

For all of us,June was something to look forward to.While some of us were stuck at work and some of us in college,this was one week we were all waiting for.I'd sometimes zone out in the middle of the day thinking about her wedding and how nice it would be to finally meet all these people and spend time with them.

March gave way to June so stealthily that it took all of us unawares.Being the ocd'ed creature that I am,I decided what I'd wear ages before.I bought a lot of stuff,which given my usual non-enthusiasm for social occasions,is quite extraordinary! Soon,all of them were talking about what to wear and I would get pictures of earrings and bangles and hair ornaments. Not to mention their dresses.That's when I realized why the wedding industry thrives in India:D

When there was a week left for the wedding,we came up with the idea of spending the night at Sush's place rather than all of us going to our houses and coming back in the wee hours of the morning again.We always think of having these sleepovers at each other's places,especially now that a lot of us are living alone, but they somehow never work out. This was the one exception where it would work ,because all of us would be there:)

Three to four days before 25th,tragedy struck and for a while,I thought I wouldn't be making it to her wedding.My whole world was topsy-turvy and all I knew was endless pain and agony.It was very tough making this decision,but I now know that it was the right one.:)

I wasn't able to make it to her Sangeet and Mehendi.They pulled off the dance very well.In fact,there were child prodigies who learnt the dance on the spot without attending any of the practices,I heard.:P Good work! All their palms were covered in intricate designs that would turn gloriously maroon right in time for the wedding.Sigh! I love Mehendi--wish I..never mind.

On the day of her reception,most of us were planning to come from Sush's place.I headed there
to find piles of accessories and clothes and makeup strewn all over.That was the first time I realised that I am part of a proper all-girls gang--none of us normally bother dressing up,but wedding fever catches and spreads very quickly.(In fact,someone told me that he felt sort of left out and intimidated by all the girly talk that went on later that evening.Poor kid,I pity you:P)

I didn't have anything to do by way of my own makeup or dressing and to my horrified surprise,I was turned into an impromptu makeup artist.:P People came to me with brushes and eyeliners and I tried hard not to screw up their faces.I did okay,I think.All my subjects were happy except for one who wanted invisible eyeliner and screamed murder at me because the line was visible:D My question is,if you don't want it to be seen,why do you apply it? These people baffle me.Devoid of logic,I swear!

Finally,we were all ready and headed to the reception.We were eager to see the bride and were directed to her room.For a minute,I couldn't believe that it was her.She looked gorgeous and was in the middle of a photoshoot.We were all awestruck.Soon after,the ceremonies started and we were involved in them.

For me,one of the most poignant moments was when we(her friends) were asked to perform the aarti of the couple.I was kind of nervous,having never done that before.Ramya looked at me and smiled,then turned to Arvind and said,"She's my friend.The writer.".In that smile,I saw a world full of happiness that I was there.My eyes filled up in gratitude that I was fortunate enough to be there for this moment.That I mattered so much to someone that my mere presence brought happiness. :)
I'm sure my friends had emotional moments like this too.It's part of a wedding.

The reception went on very well.Although I have nothing to compare it to,I'm sure I'm right in calling it fancy--with huge HD displays and multiple drones hovering above us:D We had good food,took enough pictures and talked nineteen to the dozen.The place was very well decorated--especially outside,where there were lights and a swing that looked so magical in the pleasantly cold night.My eyes kept drifting back to Ramya and I wondered when this forgetful friend of mine turned into an amazingly graceful and poised bride!She stood for hours on end,dressed in all that finery,smiling and talking to hundreds of guests.Hats off to her tenacity,seriously.

Soon,it came to an end and we headed to Sush's place.All of us were dead tired.I foolishly said something about how staying up is better because 4 hours of sleep is definitely not enough.My friends took my advice and agreed to stay up the whole night.We set an alarm for 2.30am and started talking.Ah,there's something about the night and vulnerability.:P Which is why I don't talk post 1 a.m in these sleepovers.I ended up talking about things I never should have and so did everyone else,I presume:P Newfound knowledge of all these people.Some things surprised me and some,well,did not! But it was definitely a night of revelations.

When we were finally done talking,it was 2.15 am and with that came the realization that we had to start getting ready.Someone was so high that I was seriously scared about what damage she'd do.Sleep-drunk,you know.Rather,lack of sleep drunk:P After countless efforts to find a cab,we finally set off to the wedding.

There,we again watched the rituals.I'll be honest with you here.A wedding is something bittersweet.
All these years,even though we're old enough, we still see ourselves as kids.So do our parents.But a wedding is the first threshold to true adulthood.It's the end of our childhood.It brings with it humongous responsibilities.It's always sadder for our parents because we are their world. We sprout wings and fly away and they know not whether to smile in pride at their offspring or to mourn the empty nests and cold hearths.In that instant,I looked at Ramya's parents and felt very connected to them.I could see their emotions so well.Again,I should mention them here for being so very amazing.The foundation of a wedding is not the glitz and glamour you see,but immense planning and intricate organisation that could drive one mad.If it looks this perfect on the outside,I can very clearly see the amount of work that went into it.Shout-out to them for a job more than well-done.

She got married and I watched her with the same bittersweet feeling,not because she was lost to me a friend.She would never be that,but it would be different.I would miss her in all our meetings--the insane sleepovers,the impromptu lunches and who knows what else.But this is inevitable.As one of my professors stoically says,Such is life. We all grow up and start our own lives.It doesn't mean that we forget everyone else who was a part of our lives before,but just that the landscape would change.

It leaves me feeling happy for her and yet,it feels all too soon to be saying goodbye.I also know that,no matter when,it'll always be too soon. Some goodbyes are just hard. I meet her and talk to her and we're both a little emotional.I have to leave early.I bid her goodbye,telling myself that it's not final and that I'll see her soon.

Before leaving,I gleefully write in her guest book feeling very happy that there's some place I can write.I left soon after this,so I don't really know the details of what happened.I heard there were games and that they were very fun.

Everything comes to an end and so did the straight-out-of-a-fairytale wedding.We all had a wonderful time.Most of all,it was wonderful to see that my friend was truly happy with this.That she knew she chose the right person.That she loved him as much as he did her.
That is a very rare and precious gift that life bestows .I hope you two always remember and cherish the value of that.
May you find strength,solace,comfort and happiness in each other.Here's to a happily ever after! :)

P.S:I hope I did justice.Let me know! Sorry if it's too long:P


Comments