Featured Posts of 2019

An inspiration for life:)

I originally meant to write this on your birthday,but life was rather tumultuous at that point and I never got around to it.Looking back,that was a really good thing because had I written it then,it would not have had all that I have to say now. :)

I met Rishi along with the other animals in first year of college.You know what the bad part about having a gang is? While you're in your group,you feel as if all of them are your best friends and you know them so very well.Once the group activities stop,you realize that you hardly know the members individually and barely have something to talk to them about.But the good part about a group is that it has already laid the foundation for you--made your job of getting to know people easier.The most important part is that you do this.Actually reach out to every person in the groups that matter to you and spend time with them.Get to know them really,really well.Just talk.

I sound very wise now but ironically,I stumbled upon this epiphany only after college ended. Rishi is one of the people I've become really close to over the past year. I've gotten to know her so much and so very well that I feel I never knew her in 4 years of college:)

I'm a texter and she loves to call.My idea of keeping in touch is to send out a hi once in a while  to people who matter and then letting the conversation do its job.I did the same with her,but she's never liked texting and always ends up calling me after the first couple of messages.:P Since I stay alone now,I keep my own hours and timings are never a problem.As the months passed by,I started looking forward to her calls.She would call me all of a sudden on a random Friday close to midnight sounding dead tired:P Yet,the conversation would go on for hours and she would be so excited to talk to me.What I found really endearing was that she still chose to call me and talk instead of flopping onto the bed and sleeping straight till Saturday noon.

Initially,those conversations were sad because I missed home a lot.During those times,she was a support.A cheerful presence.Later,when I found my footing,the tone turned more playful.Gossip.Secrets.A whole lot of fun:)

Honestly though,it's June that changed my perception of her completely.She had called me around the time her family had come to Bangalore to visit.She told me about all the activities she had planned for them.All that she bought for them.I could see the love behind her every action.

That's when it hit me.This is the most important thing in my life.Let me explain this properly.It's not that I had never before realized that I should give back to my family.I did,quite some time back.I was even looking forward to it.But I never actually got around to it.I kept waiting for that perfect day.That perfect moment when I could do something really special for them.

When I got my first salary last year,I asked my parents if they wanted something and they graciously refused.I thought for a while but couldn't come up with anything worthwhile that I could give them in that much money.So,I let it go.Ditto with May's stipend.But last month changed everything.I looked at Rishi and saw her as the ideal daughter,as the ideal granddaughter.That's who I wanted to be:) I realized that this perfect day I'm waiting for will never come.Maybe my salary will be more,but so will my commitments.

I give stuff to all my friends--sometimes even without occasion.How ridiculous is it that I never give to family? Life is very ephemeral--you never know what can happen,what can go wrong. You have to be who you want to be.Do what you want to do.That way,you'll have no regrets.

I look at my family and I see so much pain,so much sorrow.I don't talk about this,but it's almost unbearable.At times,I find it very easy to run away from it all.It's far easier than standing there and bearing the brunt of things.I can't bring back the dead.I can't solve your major problems for you.I can't even give you a good life like you deserve.But there are tiny things I can do to brighten up your life.Maybe it's tiny enough to not even matter in the bigger picture,but you'll at least see a moment of happiness.

So,today when I went out,instead of buying random things for myself that I never use,I came home with something for these people.Gauvas for my Dad.Jamun fruits for Mom.Laddus and nippattus from a temple.Stickers of the Gods they each worship.A small length of jasmine flowers.My offerings are like what Kuchela took to see Krishna:P I wish I could bring home something better,but who says happiness is defined by money? It isn't. This much is enough to make someone happy.Days from now,when I'm back in hostel,they'll remember this day.Or so I imagine:P

All of this is majorly influenced by Rishi.She taught me that life is about living in the moment.About taking care of the ones you love.About having no regrets.She set an example that I was all too glad to follow.What I heard from her in that one week was a trigger--it was like the first snowflake that starts an avalanche.


Image result for giving back to people quotes

I'm infinitely grateful to her for teaching me this,one of the most important things in life.I'm blessed to have such people in life:)

Dedicated to Rishika,my friend,my inspiration,my shopping savior:P

P.S:You're also a wonderful host-- I'll always remember the day I spent at your house.It is memorable in so many ways,on so many levels. :)

P.P.S:It is very easy to make this mistake in today's oh-so-glittery world,especially when youth is on our side.We have things we want to buy,places we want to visit.It's all too easy to forget to give back,to forget to be grateful.I hope you're wiser than me,Dear Reader,and that you will not make this mistake.Once a while,it's a good practice to remember your worst day in life,to think about where you were and how far you've come.(Remember Dr.Manette from Tale of Two Cities?) It's only then that you can appreciate life in its entirety.To be grateful for all that you have:)



Comments