Featured Posts of 2019

Best friend forever

Image result for best friend quotes


This is a story that's very special to me.I suppose the beginning is as good a place to start as any:)

About nineteen years ago,I was a naive 4 year old kid who had no friends.I also didn't know how to make any--pathetic social skills were something I inherited at birth.I was apparently running around a jackfruit tree at lunch,lost in my own imaginary world.She saw me and at 4 years of age,in all her infinite wisdom,decided that she wanted to be my friend.This was probably the best thing that has ever happened to me:) 

Image result for best friend quotes

So, she started running around the same tree following me.She was a people magnet--right from the beginning,everyone wanted to be around her,including me:) In a minute,4 or 5 kids started running around following her coming up with some kind of a game,I guess.This is all I remember from that day.

There have been countless times when I have wondered What if she didn't follow me that day?
In all probability,I would have been a loner throughout school,without one single friend.I thank my stars everyday for this.

Image result for best friend quotes

Today,I'm quite independent.I don't come across as scared.I'm not overtly social but I can still make decent conversation.I value all the people who befriend the present me--but she's special because she chose to be my friend when I was nothing.I was scared,lost and wouldn't even talk much.She saw me for who I really was and still liked me.Still made me feel like I was worth something.In fact,made me feel like I was infinitely precious.I'm different today because of all the experiences life has put me through;but somewhere underneath the social charade I'm still the same 4 year old.And that 4 year old will always look at her with love.For giving me a childhood that's so beautiful.

Image result for best friend quotes

You always know within the first few days whether something will last.I knew back then with absolute certainty that this was a friendship for life.That she would always be there for me.To support me.Protect me.Make me feel better.

Years flew by and things kept changing.Amidst all this,I had one constant--our friendship.We were inseparable.Like I said before,she was popular.Everyone wanted to be her friend and I see why--she was magical.I had no friends,none but her.I was drawn to her like a magnet to iron,and I found that I could talk to some people.In fact,talk for hours on end.I told her my dreams,my fears,my everything.When she told me hers,I felt privileged to have that honor.

We would spend 8 hours at school together and yet,the moment I would come back home,the first thing I used to do was to call her.We would talk for hours on end.Ah,those days of landline phones.I used to race up the stairs when I heard the ring,knowing for certain that it was her:) Those were also the days of dial-up-internet and I had a frustrated father who could never get connected to the internet till I went to sleep:P I'm very thankful both our parents had phone allowances---else,they'd be bankrupt by the amount we spoke:D

So things went till 7th standard when one of those evil teachers decided that we both needed other friends and as part of the annual shuffling put us in different sections:| I was petrified by this possibility--back then,I thought that friendships would only survive in proximity.Looking back,this year is the only reason I have a handful of other friends--else,it would be just her:P Anyway,instead of growing apart like I feared we would,we only grew closer.The little time we spent together was infinitely more valuable now.Lunch was around 45 minutes I think.Both of us would spend just 10 minutes eating:P She would be waiting for me outside class every single day and we would roam around the campus talking nineteen to the dozen:) Thankfully in 8th,we both were put back into the same section and could eat our lunch in peace together thereafter:P

We were thick as thieves till 10th.Twelve wonderful years.When we graduated,I was more scared of being away from her than of facing the outside world.She was my entire world--what would I do in a world where she wasn't around? The thought tormented me--yet,as a sixteen year old,I was already getting used to the harsh truths of life.I knew that it wouldn't be possible for us to be together all the time--we had to take different paths.Yet,letting her go was the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

Image result for best friend quotes

We ended up in different colleges as I'd guessed and I didn't talk to her for a month or so.I didn't talk because I was hanging onto my reality by a very fragile thread.One call and maybe I would come apart.One month later,I'd found my footing in the new world and also realized that she would always be a part of my world.There was no world without her.I called her and things slowly went back to the same.

It has been seven years since then.I don't see her everyday.I don't even talk to her everyday.But she's always in my thoughts.Because she is a part of me.Whenever I face problems,my first urge is to call her.Because I know that when I finish talking,I'll always find the strength to get through them.To smile again.Talking to her is the best thing in the world.My happiness doubles,my sorrows halve and my life becomes infinitely better.

Image result for best friend quotes

We have followed different paths in life.Both of us have been lucky to find amazing friends at all the places we've been in.At times,I have looked at her pictures and wondered if she's found someone who she's closer to than me.The question is rhetorical,the doubt pointless.I also know that I will be her best friend forever. :)

Image result for best friend quotes
Our friendship has lasted nineteen years now.I'm sure of very few things in life--but of this I am dead certain.She will be my best friend till the day I die.Apart from my parents,she is the person I love the most in this world.

Image result for best friend quotes

P.S:I will be meeting you after seven long years.I'm looking forward to this day so very much.More than anyone can imagine.:)

I wanted to write this for your birthday,but I'm doing it in advance because I'm scared life will get in the way:P

Dedicated to Sriraksha--my friend,my support,my protection,my soul.Happy Birthday!
I hope and wish I've been as good a friend to you as you have been to me:)
I know it's insane to wish for a lifetime of happiness,but for you,I cannot wish for anything else:)

May God always be with you.

With all the love I have to offer,
Yours
Prashanthi

Image result for best friends forever quotes






Comments