Featured Posts of 2019

My exemplary muse:Creative uses of a Sphygmomanometer:P

I've just come back from a distasteful encounter--one I deemed a friendly personal visit turned out to be yet another coercion attempt into something I wasn't interested in.I have a go-to-hell attitude reserved for such occasions but I can't infuse politeness into it:P I call it the barrel of gun manner--ice-cold and scary.

I envy people who can be polite in these situations though.That reminded me of my Mom.She can tell you to go to hell and make it sound like you've been given an invitation to the most exclusive event in the world.It's one of the amazing qualities she's been bestowed with or cultivated--really don't know which.

And that's when I realised that as my eternal muse,it's only fair that she gets an entire series that's about her and dedicated to her.She's lived quite an interesting life.:P

Side note:A lot of stuff on this blog is personal.I'm considering getting a second blog for these and moving articles there.I don't know though.I don't see the harm in people reading.It's just that I realised I don't at all talk about these things and yet,here my entire life is,visible to everyone.That makes you feel kinda vulnerable.Let me give it some thought.Let me know if you have any opinion on this:)

This story was narrated to me right from childhood hoping to infuse some courage in the timid infant that I was.I don't know if it did that,but it was definitely an interesting one:P

My mom would have been around 25 at the time.This was her first clinic and she was fresh out of med school.My overtly traditional grandparents wanted their daughters to be well-educated but were at the same time hesitant to send them out into the world.My Mom having her own practice sounded horribly scary to them.You can imagine their what-ifs.Robbers.Lunatics.Creeps.Rapists.

As a result,they sent my aunt who had her semester holidays to keep my Mom company and be there if something went wrong.This was even funnier because my aunt would have been around 20 at the time and she was petrified of the aforementioned what-ifs.Anyway,one day,my Mom was going through her usual routine with patients when one of them caught her attention.She's always had a good eye for people.

This guy complained of a fever but there didn't seem anything wrong with him.Hypochondriacs are this way too but this was clearly different.Something seemed off with him,she says.When she identifies such people,my Mom turns into a warrior.She keeps them at the right distance,identifies all potential weapons and is basically crouched like a tiger ready to pounce at the slightest provocation.:P

All went well and the guy picked up his prescription.He would leave in a minute.She breathes a sigh of relief.He reaches into his pocket to pay her the consultation fee.What happened next was a blur.His hand came out with chilly powder which he instantly threw into my Mom and aunt's eyes.My aunt started screaming which is actually normal.My mom,now,is not normal.

Blinded as she is,she remembers where exactly he's standing.Weapon of choice--the infamous BP apparatus aka Sphygmomanometer.During those days,we had the old heavy mercury ones and not these light-as-air electronic ones that are prevalent today.She hit him on the head with it and the force of the blow was enough to stun.He stood there head clutched in both hands for a long moment.And then forgetting whatever his intent was(robbery I presume) he ran for his life.:P

My Mom,still operating with inordinate presence of mind, proceeded to lock the door.Only then did she pause to wash her eyes with water and thereafter repeat the same on her sister.

I often joke to my Mother that she's the 21st century Onake Obavva,who used a Sphygmomanometer instead of a pestle:P 

P.S:My aunt was traumatized by the whole incident and so were my grandparents.So much so that they insisted on her closing her clinic and working at a hospital.
My mom has since had her own practice for 23 years and she's faced all kinds of people and situations:)
I could not be more proud of her!

Ironically,I don't think I'm very brave.My valor is purely verbal:D

P.P.S:I worry for her these days.She's getting popular.Too popular.Could bring in the wrong kind of people:( She's brave but age slows down your reflexes.I would feel better if I were at home to keep an eye on things.Working late hours alone isn't really safe.I keep telling her to retire,but who am I kidding!

May God always watch over you and keep you safe!

Comments

  1. Wow! Your Mom is one brave lady! Regarding the side note - even if you decide to move these to a second blog kindly update us with the link of that one :D :P . But jokes apart...Won't everything that you'll ever write show us some part of you/your life? I mean IMO it is next to impossible to completely detach yourself from that you create.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never looked at it from this pov :P Put that way, it makes a lot of sense. I'll just keep writing here I guess :)

      Delete

Post a Comment