Featured Posts of 2019

EFML:Solitude

I'm what you'd call an early bird.That term,by itself has undergone considerable mutilation over the years.For instance,my grandfather would call someone who woke up at 3:45 am an early bird.This period is called Brahma Samayam in Sanskrit.Someone who wakes up at this time would be closer to attaining divine qualities,or so they say.He also believes that anyone who wakes up after sunrise will become lazier and acquire asura-like qualities:P

Now my Mom and Dad would call people who wake up between 4.30-5 early birds.One more generation down the line is me.6 am belongs to the wee hours of the morning for me.Most of my generation would sadly disagree with me.I know a lot of people who consider 8-9 as very very early.Sigh!

Anyway,I don't mean to say I wake up early and wait for it to dawn.It's just that I like being early to work or college.This habit started in early childhood.When I was in school,I used to be more or less the first one in (excluding the guard :P). I used to be there at 7.10 even though assembly started at 8.40.This was one habit that persisted and endured evolution's wrath for the better.

My undergrad days were wonderful.I used to be there at 7.30 every single day.I was on first name basis with all the guards and housekeeping staff:P For some reason,everyone found this weird.They couldn't fathom why someone would want to come early.Some people even attributed this habit of mine to a dark past or family woes:P .When asked,I used to cite traffic and my relatively far residence as the reasons for being early.Although this was true,it wasn't the whole reason.

It was simple.I loved solitude.Those first hours in the morning where I'd spend time either lost in a novel or listening to music were infinitely precious to me.I don't know if anyone can relate to this,but I used to bask in that serene quietude.The stillness of a busy campus before people started coming in.Absolute silence.A few birds chirping.God! I preferred to keep all human interactions to a minimal during these precious minutes.A nod or a smile was all any of my acquaintances would get.Even this felt too expensive.Never a word,for that would break the wonderful silence.

It was so glorious that I always resented the moment I had to come out of this solitude and actually talk to someone.It used to feel horrible till that reality took over and I'd wait for the next day to bring back my paradise built on denial of society's existence.

Somehow,over the past year,I have missed this.Being in a hostel,I no longer have the luxury of going any earlier that 15 minutes to class.And even then people accuse me of being early.Laughable,isn't it?I wonder what they'd call one and half hours before time:D

Nearly two decades down the lane,I'm here at my desk at 8 am.The ODC is gloriously empty.And then I notice that the guy who sits opposite me has come in early.I cringe,knowing that I have to make small talk now.My golden solitude is vanquished by this man.I almost hate him for it.I steel myself for yet another banal social encounter.

Hey! I beat you today.Finally,I'm earlier than you. He grins at me. I grin back.Yeah,yeah you did.

If only you had an inkling of what goes on in my head:D

Comments

  1. So, you sort of resented the moment when a certain girl (let's call her R) came early & started talking ? :D :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Master of minutia, spare me your astute glance :p
      You better not point this out to R! :D

      Delete

Post a Comment