Featured Posts of 2019

CD:One short of a dozen



Image result for forever is a lie


Dedicated to one of my closest and most interesting friends,Siva.

A year ago, a dozen of us stepped into this hostel as perfect strangers. Now it feels like these dozen people are a part of my family. I thought I'd have two years with them,but I'm already bidding my first adieu. It's a bit early, but feels every bit as sad.

Meet Siva. I first thought of her as an ordinary person. Soon,I got to know her well enough and that notion vanished in its entirety. :P She's one of the most interesting people you'd meet. Far from normal. I like this because the world is filled to the brim with boringly normal people.

At times,she would be quiet for days on end. In the beginning,we all used to ask her if everything was fine and wonder if she's upset. We soon realized that those silences were a part of her. Again, this is something I like --digression, these silences remind me of Sherlock, but then a lot of things in this universe do :p. Getting back, I like that she can be quiet without feeling the overwhelming need to confirm to the social norm of always talking.That is something I will miss about her :(

In those initial days when I didn't know many people, I used to prefer the fourth floor to my own. Anytime I was free, I would head upstairs.The reason was simple. Fourth floor had this block of four rooms in a square. Lakshmi,Siva,Bala and Bhavani. These people mostly never shut their doors.They're always talking to each other :D And in the occasional event that their doors were closed, the moment one of them came out they'd yell out to the others. In ten seconds, all four of them would be out in the corridor, talking nineteen to the dozen and laughing. I loved being a part of this--part of the madness, part of the laughter. And there was this grumpy senior two doors down who used to hate us. Like literally. She reprimanded these four quite a few times for disturbing her :p So they'd be standing there laughing and suddenly her door would open. All of them would scurry into their rooms like kindergarten kids hiding from their teacher :p I loved being there coz of the cheer and the warmth. It was a powerful antidote to the homesickness I felt then.
                     
This is perhaps what I'll miss the most. For every time I go there, that empty room will remind me of you, Siva. The other three will probably be reminded of you more,especially Lakshmi. Nevertheless, we all miss you in our own ways.                      

Every time we sit down to a meal, I shall turn expecting to see you there next to me,quiet as always and eating hardly a bite :p. Every time Lakshmi says let's go for a walk and then after four rounds she says let's walk some more?, I shall miss your inevitable yes. I will miss you in those conversations we have about life and everything under the sun. Hearing about how differently you see life. Every time I see a guy with a weird hairdo, I'll smile remembering you. Every time I see a lovesick couple, I will miss you saying that you want to go separate them. :D I will miss all this and much more. All the fun and seriousness that was so you.
                    
 And this is not just me. All of us. I write because that's the only thing I know to do. :P
                   
Such is life though. People come and then they leave. We miss them for a while and then we get used to it.But there are some people who stay in our lives forever. Not physically, but the connect is always there.You meet them years later and start talking as if it was just yesterday you last spoke. I hope you stay that way with all of us. No matter where you are:) 

Remember that you leave behind a group that's incomplete without you. A group that will always think of you. People who're always there for you. 

May life be wonderful to you :) 


Image result for friends forever quotes


P.S:I started writing this feeling cynical about "forevers" because eventually everyone leaves.But then,I realised that it's upto us.We keep in touch with those who matter.And for those,time and distance are never hurdles. :)

In a way,it's nice.You have friends all over the world.Like a web of cheer and laughter and good memories.You never know,one day you might meet them again and continue right where you left off.

What we have between hello and goodbye is worth cherishing.And on this hopefully positive note,I see it fit to end this. :)


Comments

  1. Is there a like button ?:p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha no! I value my comments far too much to risk losing them to a button :p Consider it liked:)

      Delete
  2. Such beautiful words! Siva is gonna love this :)

    "these silences remind me of Sherlock, but then a lot of things in this universe do"

    Why am I not surprised? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you:)

      About the latter,no comment:P You know me!

      Delete

Post a Comment