Featured Posts of 2019

Lost in translation

I'm on a writing spree today.I just can't stop.The last article was supposed to be the prelude to what I'm going to write now.I don't know how,but it turned out longer than I'd envisioned and I decided to make it a separate article.I'm not really a fan of long articles--brevity is something that I very much value.Therefore,pardon me if most of the ideas of this piece overlap with the previous,it was meant to be that way originally before I split them up:)

Like I just said,one of the first things people ask when they meet you is this: Where are you from? If your answer matches theirs,you'll most likely hit it off.This is a no-brainer,You obviously have a lot of things in common.What,in my humble opinion,you should not do is this: When the answer does not match,you immediately conclude that this person will not make a good friend and move on.Sadly,I've seen this happen a lot in the recent past that I decided to write about it.

The environment you grow up in plays a huge role in your life.Again,this is something that is debatable.Yet,I've seen evidence enough to support this opinion of mine.Not enough to make a generalization,but definitely enough to support its existence.

I've grown up in Bangalore.I've never chosen my friends based on language or for that matter,even religion.I've had friends of every language possible.In fact,I sometimes struggle to recall what language they each speak.:D Christmas was as important in my house as was Janmashtami.I knew more of the Bible than I did of the Gita.I was more familiar with Mangalorean dishes than my own home cuisine.Lunches used to be fun,because we would get to taste a lot of different dishes.Yet,I've never felt left out or singled because I didn't speak a language.

This is because of this wonderful city I live in.It welcomes everyone with arms wide open no matter what their language,culture or religion be.It has taught me to do the same.I see people for what they are.Nothing else really matters:)

There have been times in the past when I have been overwhelmed by people speaking a language I didn't know.I never thought the experience would be so drastically ostracizing,Yet,it is.There's no better way to make a person feel left out than to constantly speak a language they don't!

I picked up a new language due to the aforementioned reason.Again,this attitude is something that's typical of Bangaloreans I know.I would rather learn a new language than force someone to speak in one I know.

Each time I see someone associating with another person just because they speak their language and isolating another because they don't,a part of me dies.I cringe at the person who just did that.I'd never hold in high esteem someone who discriminates that blatantly.I sometimes wonder if I'm the one who's discriminating by judging such people.I wonder if such clustering is normal behavior that's inherent in the human genome.:( 

All I ask of you,Dear Reader,is this.Even if there's one person in your group who doesn't speak your language,be nice to them.Learn their language,ask about their culture.Take away the good things,give them some of yours.Language was born to unite,not isolate.





Comments