Featured Posts of 2019

CD 14:Absent-minded squared

Being hostelites,a lot of us have this habit of going to class with just a notebook and our keys.My friend,Bala has this habit of placing them on a very inconspicuously weird location on her chair--this juncture where the chair ends and the legs begin.Noone even notices they're there and sometimes even she forgets.

Today,I happened to be sitting behind her.Bhavani,who was next to me says, "I bet you she's going to forget her keys." Class ended,and just as she'd predicted Bala walked away without her keys.I was the only one who noticed.I picked it up,with every intention of giving it to her right then.

Just then,Minu said "Keep it with you for a while.Don't give it to her immediately." Although I don't usually do this sort of thing,today I decided to.Just two minutes.She's probably not even going to realise.

I came out of class and remembered I had to meet a professor.I looked around wondering if I should return her keys but saw that my friends were all engrossed in some discussion.Figuring that this would last at least a good five minutes and that I'd be back by then,I took the keys with me.

Unfortunately,my errand lasted about ten minutes during which I totally forgot I had her keys.I was  headed towards the hostel when I saw Bala walking towards the reception.That's when it hit me.Shit! She must have been looking for her keys all this while.

I gave her the keys and we laughed.It turned out she actually went into the class(where another session was in progress) looking for them.She was worried she couldn't find them and was about to complain at the reception.I didn't know whether to laugh or feel guilty.

I apologise but she laughs:I won't leave my keys next time.I've learnt my lesson now.Thank God she was a good sport about it.I was half afraid she'd be furious with me.

So have I.An absent-minded person must refrain from playing tricks on other absent minded people:P






Comments