Featured Posts of 2019

EFML:Needle in a haystack

So much for the OCD'ed categorization of every article I write.Looks like EMFL is the only category that's getting more articles:)

I swore to do something productive this weekend as opposed to spending it in deep slumber as is my way.For this so-called productive activity,I needed to find a LAN cable,a micro SD card and a card reader.

The LAN cable was the easiest.Ditto for the card reader--in fact I found two.Here's the point where I tell you that I'm a very organised person.Not a quote unquote conventionally organised one,but methodical nevertheless.I mean to say,if you walk in to my room,it may not be the epitome of neatness,but I can find any given item in under a minute.I believe in this adage that says organisation implies being able to find every single thing even in pitch darkness.

There's one hindrance to my high ideals though.Which is my appalling memory.I can't remember worth a damn.It's been quite a while since I've been thinking about an efficient way of maintaining where I keep what,but nothing concrete has emerged out of it yet:P Which means to say that occasionally I spend a significant amount of time trying to locate something,just like any other ordinary person.This happened to be one of those times.

I couldn't find the memory card in question.First question.Last seen.Answer.A year ago.You know this whole hand-me down cycle right? That works for memory cards as well in my house.My mom had a 2gb card and I a 16gb.I distinctly remember buying a 32gb card last june--as I result of which my 16gb card got handed to her and I took back her 2gb one for safekeeping.Bravo, memory.A year ago at that.Good job:P

Next question.Seen where?I draw a blank on this one.Absolutely no idea.I look through all my usual haunts.Nada.Only option left.Brute force through it all.Two cupboards:| Added blessing: I've been away for a year and everything I own is covered in three layers of dust and gloriously thriving cobwebs.(No one at home touches my belongings even for cleaning because they're petrified of the resulting row if they misplace my stuff even by a hair:P) I upturn one shelf and painstakingly go through the contents,sneezing every minute.by the time I've put back everything again,I give up on continuing this exercise in stupidity that's testing my dust tolerance.

You know the 'What would he/she do?' routine right? Well,Sherlock is my God--I've asked What would Sherlock do? in every possible situation since times immemorial:D
The answer is instantaneous:Think.Deduce.Never brute force.
One year ago.I imagine myself holding the memory card,looking for a place to put it.I would have stood in this very room,probably this very place thinking.I knew that the card is tiny like the proverbial needle and therefore easy to lose.Logic dictates I would put it somewhere impossible to lose.I also knew of my wonderfully long-lived memory.Logic(my perennial love--which by the way is an oxymoron) again dictates that I would put it in a place that needs no remembering.It must be obvious.

I think for a minute.My eye lands on a tiny box that formerly held mints,lying smack in the middle of the table.Conspicuous.Logical.I pounce on it only to find a SIM card inside.I'm disappointed.
Sherlock's voice resonates in my head--When all else is eliminated,whatever remains,however improbable,must be the truth.

What would the logical place for a teeny-tiny memory card be?Somewhere you could never lose it and a place that doesn't tax your memory.

A card reader.

I open the card readers that have been lying at my feet all the while and lo and behold,  the memory card pops out.***facepalm***

I don't know if I have to applaud myself for a deduction well done or to berate my former self for choosing a place soo...what's the word for it?

Sherlock laughs at me,It's so overt,it's covert. He always has the last word:)


Comments

  1. I can totally imagine you in this situation :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heard this a lot. This is quintessential me going about my life! :D

      Delete

Post a Comment