Featured Posts of 2019

EFML: What you see, and what you get

 With the advent of covid, life as we knew it has seen many changes. One of those is working from home for extended periods of time. As a result of this, many of us never really context switch fully between work and home. A part of our mind is stuck on some work related topic even if we're at home. On one such day, around 1pm, both my husband and I stepped away from work to grab a quick lunch. As is our way, we called out to each other asking if the other person could serve the food, and after a minute of back and forth, I reluctantly decided that it was my turn. I headed into the kitchen and looked around absently. I saw some plates, roti and curry, and dished out portions onto both our plates. 

Now for the curd. I rummaged around in the fridge, and my eyes fell onto a bowl of curd with grated carrots and onions. Raita(curd with raw vegetables), I thought, puzzled. I don't remember asking the cook to make this today. Maybe my husband did. Or maybe she decided to surprise us. Anyway, it doesn't matter. I quickly dished out a couple of spoons onto both our plates and called my husband to lunch.

We both ate in silence, lost in thoughts about work. I vaguely noticed that the raita tasted slightly odd and bitter. But it was a fleeting thought, and I barely dwelled upon it. We finished lunch and headed off to work. Soon enough, it was evening, and we had to repeat the same routine for dinner. We again called out to each other from our work desks, and this time, it was decided that my husband would serve the food.

A minute later, I heard him exclaim loudly. I came to the kitchen to see what caused this, and the bowl of raita was kept outside. This is paddu batter, he tells me, doubled up with laughter. You absent-mindedly served it as curd. I take another look at the bowl, and this time my eyes actually take in the details. The consistency looks different, and I can see a grainy texture that's characteristic of dosa batter and not curd. I sheepishly grin and retort, Well, I didn't hear you complaining. You actually ate all of it. 

I know, he says. Although now that I think about it, I did remember musing that it tasted weird. What a pair we make!

P.S: I swear Reader, this genuinely happened. :D

Comments