Featured Posts of 2019

The better half speaks: On recovering from..

One thing to be said of a traditional Indian wedding is that it tires you out completely. We had done as much as we could to minimize the rituals, but even so, it lasted well over three days leaving us completely drained. 

Image result for marriage

While putting in our holiday requests, both of us had been extremely optimistic. The itinerary was this way: Wednesday was the reception, Thursday was the wedding in Bangalore followed by another get-together in Mysore, Friday there was a pooja, after which we would go to his parents' place in Mysore, pack up stuff from there and leave to Bangalore on Saturday. We would then head to my parents' place on Sunday, pick up my luggage and come back to our new home. The rest of Sunday and Monday would be reserved for unpacking and settling down. I erred on the side of caution and put in Tuesday and Wednesday as well, just to get some additional rest, while my husband remained his ever down-to-earth self and decided that he would show up to work promptly on Tuesday :P

Come Sunday night, you find us collapsed on the sofa in the living room, surrounded by a swamp of both our bags. Our schedules had worked fine, except that neither of us had accounted for "how it would feel". We still had to unpack, arrange for a cook, a maid and a hundred other chores that would fall under the umbrella of "settling down". Now yours truly had three full days chalked out for all of this. But hubby dear had only a day to go :P I looked at him and grinned : How does going back to work on Tuesday sound now?

No way. It's too near. I thought Monday we'd be done and Tuesday I could get to work. Goes to show how little I know about married life. His expression is an uncommon amalgamation of despair and laughter.

Let me put in a leave request for Tuesday as well. Anyway you're off as well...

Sure, you could do that.

He searches for his boss's number on his phone and casually mentions to me: By the way, my boss's name is Prashanth. So don't be surprised if you get some work related email or note from me by mistake. Letting you know for future purposes...

I can think of half a dozen cheeky retorts to this, but there's one that I find totally irresistible. So I tell him with a poker face: You know what, that's totally fine with me. It's the other way round that I'm worried about. :P :D

That makes for two minutes of laughter imagining all the possibilities for this one, after which he goes back to typing out his original request for a day off. 

I have plenty of sick leaves, should probably utilize those, he says to me.

Now this sounds interesting to me and I wonder how he's going to frame that sentence. I lean over and take a look...

It reads:

Hi Prashanth,
I just returned to Bangalore after my wedding. I'm still recovering from...

I can't stop laughing at this.
Wait, what? Did you just type recovering from? How on earth is that sentence going to end? :P

Ummm...I was thinking of saying recovering from the marriage. 

*5 seconds* Oh damn, I just realized how that sounds out loud.

I double up in laughter. This guy is epic. Recovering from marriage. Man, this is meme material. :D

This is what I usually type after I get back tired from a work trip. I just substituted trip with marriage...I guess that doesn't work. He laughs.

You bet it didn't work. Your boss would have had so much to say to you :P I still can't get over the fact that he typed this.

Oh yeah. He would probably have been like "You don't recover from marriage. It's fatal." I obviously wouldn't have sent that. Would have read it before sending. That was just what first came to my mind.
He tries shrugging it off.

I am definitely not letting this one go :P I tell him:This is going on my blog for sure.

Oh boy, I'm definitely not going to 'recover' from this one it looks like...He grins back at me.

That's right. Going to use that phrase for a long time to come :D
Recovering from marriage indeed! :P






Comments