Featured Posts of 2019

The better half speaks: Hand her a rose

Greetings, my long neglected blog and handful of readers. It's been a while since I last wrote. There are a multitude of reasons for that, most of which are centered around my change of status from a single woman to a married one. Anyway, my newly-wedded husband is a man of many talents and his antics over the past few days have more than inspired me to start this new series :P I envision this as a series of humorous drabbles that recount two logical, independent, pragmatic, down-to-earth people trying to adapt to married life. May the anecdotes begin :)

Image result for rose

 All the events in my life seem to have naturally taken marriage as the time reference: before marriage and after marriage is how life is split up now. Anyway, in the before marriage era, a bunch of my school friends had come home for a "bachelorette party". They were really really excited about me getting married, maybe even more so than me :P. Among the many things on their agenda, one was to annoy/rag my then to-be-husband. One friend especially(let's call her H) was extremely enthusiastic and abounding with creative ideas on this subject. Post the party, she told me that she would definitely execute at least a few of her crazy plans. This sounded almost like a threat to me,but I waived it off into the cross-that-bridge-when-we-get-to-it realm.

On the day of my reception, this aforementioned gang turned up promptly and happily, and I was really glad to see them. I had totally forgotten about the prank part, till H turned up on stage with a rose in hand and an evil cheshire grin on her face. I vaguely recalled something about her saying she would ask him to propose to me in front of the whole crowd. My trepidation hit the ceiling, more because I was worried about my orthodox parents' reaction at this stunt. To say that they would be scandalized is an understatement :P. I mouthed in desperation to her: Noooo! Please. Her grin only widened at this and she walked up to us laughing.

After the mandatory congratulations and introductions, she asks my husband: Could you please give my friend this rose?

I froze at this, my brain rapidly brute forcing through the hundred outcomes this could possibly have.

Yeah, sure. He takes the rose and nonchalantly hands it to me, smiling normally. The photographer clicks yet another picture.

The laughter bubbles up hysterically in my throat. H's face is a mixture of speechlessness and annoyance. I can almost read her expression: How could he just give her a rose? I meant get down on one knee and officially propose with it. *facepalm*

That was that, and they walked down, my friend glaring daggers at my poor husband who was oblivious to all that transpired :D

Three days later, husband and I were looking at the wedding pictures, when the one with the rose caught my eye. My laughter found free expression this time around, and I narrated what happened to him. He found the incident extremely funny as well, and after ten minutes of laughing till our ribs hurt, he said:

That she was asking me to propose to you didn't occur to me at all.

Well, what did you make of the fact that she got a rose and did this?

I thought she was being thoughtful and getting you a rose or something. And then maybe she wanted me to give it because that would seem nice.

This answer made me laugh all the more.

Your friend must think I don't have a single romantic bone in my body, he laughs.

That she definitely does. But so long as there are a good number of humorous ones, I'll gladly accept the tradeoff :P

And that's what happens when you give a pragmatic guy a rose and ask him to give it to the girl he's marrying! :D

Comments