Featured Posts of 2019

Observations on Life: On melancholy and poetry

I have recently been listening to a lot of spoken word poetry, and I have come to appreciate it quite a bit. Spoken word poetry, when compared to conventional written poetry, is much more expressive. It provides a platform for the poet to actually give life to his/her creation rather than leave these things to the imagination of the reader. As a result, every nuance of feeling is expressed--an inflection that tells you just a little more, a catch in their voice that gives away exactly what they feel--there are a million subtleties and non-verbal cues that your brain registers. For people like me, who love watching good orators/speakers, this is one of the ultimate treats. I have spent many an evening listening to random people laying their soul bare for the world to see. So vulnerable, and yet so strong. But then I noticed this: most of the good poems were based on real-life experiences, and they were incredibly, unbelievably tragic. And I stopped to think of my favorite works of poetry. A fair number of them have been melancholy, and they were mirrors of their authors' lives and emotions. You might argue with me on this, but I somehow think sorrow is a more powerful creator than happiness, at least when it comes to poetry. From my own experience, the articles I love best have all been written in times that have been anything but happy.

P.S:A few examples, in case you are still unconvinced!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqu4ezLQEUA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT6blrKgtRQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQQ9Q5ydeCQ


Comments