Featured Posts of 2019

The introvert's guide to life:Fitting in

Since life is rather lacklustre at this point,I thought of starting a new series:P I'm not sure if I still qualify as an introvert,because I'm making attempts to actually talk.Nevertheless,from more than two decades worth experience at being one,I can definitely write this:D


Image result for fitting in

For as long as I can remember,I have felt like a fish out of water.I thought that when I finally belonged somewhere,it would feel amazingly blissful.As if it were proof of normalcy;a validation of the fact that I am a human being too.

As a kid,I never knew how to make conversation.All my answers would be monosyllabic and any attempt someone made to talk to me would go down the drain.I was very upset about this when my grandfather quoted Dale Carnegie to me:

"If you want to be interesting,you have to be interested."

 Since then,I have used this method unfailingly to my benefit.Given that most people like to talk about themselves,it is very easy to draw them out with a question.As a good listener and even better questioner,this is a godsend for me.Not only that,but it leaves me knowing more after every conversation.Granted that it might be trivia,but trivia is also quite useful at times:P

Over the years,I've found that there are several occasions that I cannot avoid attending without coming across as anti-social.See,the point is,to me it doesn't matter whether I go to such events or not.Sadly,to other people it does--they seem to think I'm missing out on things and usually drag me out. Eventually,I concluded that these things are a part of life that I have to make peace with.

I am at a point where I turn up to gatherings when I'd rather be alone in my room reading.I feel lost in the crowd and have impulses to run away every other minute:P (I have done so quite a few times!)
Because it doesn't make sense to torture myself,I was wondering how I could fit in better if not feel at home.

And then,I came across an article which laid out a solution for this.The author claims that no one actually feels like they belong.The key to fitting in is to try and make other people at home,he says.You might ask me,"I myself feel like I don't belong.And you want me to help someone else?I have no clue how to go about doing that!" 

It's not that hard,I promise.And in a weird convoluted way,it makes complete sense.It reminds me of a quote from one of the first books I read(Cars,by Disney):\

"I'll put it simple:if you're going hard enough left ,you'll find yourself turning right."

The perfect way to fit in is to forget that you exist.Imagine you're watching the whole episode comfortably as a bystander.Look at people,pay attention to what they're doing.You'll start noticing minutia--places where you could help with something as small as a kind word or a gesture.Sometimes even a smile.That's all there is to it:)

I'll quote from this article which was the inspiration for this:

Do you want to know, then, what the real solution is to fitting in?Make other people feel like they fit in.
Go out of your way to make people feel wanted. Make yourself uncomfortable for the comfort of others. Give when you don’t have to. Compliment when you don’t want to. Love when you don’t have to. Forgive when it’s not expected of you.
Because then a funny thing happens.
Then you start feeling like you may just fit in after all.

P.S:I tried this out yesterday.It worked to some extent.I think it needs a little practice.:P

Article in question: https://medium.com/the-mission/the-ultimate-survival-guide-to-not-fitting-in-53111a150d54

I'm sure the writing is pathetic on this one.I don't have the energy to proofread.Viral fever and its bandwagon of sub-ailments have left me drained. :(

Comments

  1. The writing is not pathetic, it's just perfect. Actually every other person is an introvert deep within. It's just how well you can play the act....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment