Featured Posts of 2019

A connection is made

Image result for connection images


A few years ago,when Whatsapp first made its way into the app market,I regarded it with the same suspicion and pessimism that I reserve for social media platforms.I did install it,albeit on a number that barely a dozen people in the world had.The possibility of being added to any massive group--those typical class groups-- scared the hell out of me.It was almost as intimidating as going to huge social gatherings:P

Therefore,I spent the major part of my undergraduate life as a freak who was not on Whatsapp.Eventually,it became the most convenient and dominant channel of information.Therefore,I was forced to start using it.I did so very reluctantly in the beginning.I used to be the silent eccentric who always used to read messages on groups but never reply except when it was direly necessary.It took a few months before I let my guard down and actually started texting people.It was then that I discovered that I am a texter:D

I can text for hours on end.And somehow,it brings out the best parts of me.See,there are two kinds of people in this world:D ( yeah,I hate generalizations since they mostly ignore the outliers,bear with me this one time) The first kind prefer the spoken word--these are people with extrovert tendencies.They just love talking to people.The second prefer writing(yeah,you guessed right,I belong to the latter).These people seem like ice statues when you talk to them.Yet,if you happen to somehow have a written conversation you'll find that there are more layers to them.

People who like conversations are the same ones who'll immediately offer to call you when you text.They think that texting is so damn hard and so very emotionless.They'll tell you that it's impossible to hold meaningful conversations over text. And the ones who you see writing are the same ones who'll be very happy to text you.They find it a good way to communicate and can relate to you a lot better when you text.

Of course,there are exceptions.Anyway,what was once difficult is now infinitely easier.Whatsapp has become my preferred medium of communication.Some of the most meaningful,interesting and fun conversations I recall have been on Whatsapp.A close friend once told me:I connect so much with you on Whatsapp.You emote really well over text. 

My family viewed this habit of mine with mounting distaste and disapproval.They first threatened to take away my phone and later solemnly educated me about carpal tunnel syndrome :P (Can you get carpal tunnel if you swipe too? I don't think so!) They complained about how little I actually spoke versus how much time I spent being physically present and mentally elsewhere.Finally,in frustration,I installed Whatsapp on my mother's phone.

After initially storming at me,my mother was gradually lured by media.Our generation,in my humble opinion,has our head firmly on our shoulders.Which is probably because we have been in the company of forwards for far too long to hold them in anything but disdain.We grew up with those pick a number and I'll tell you blah-blah about you,received those chain forwards which threatened to kill/fail/injure unless we sent them around so many useless times,read a million jokes that had the sense of humor of a potted plant,watched those videos that were nothing but a waste of bandwidth.How,then,can we be amazed by anything we see today? I don't even download the videos on most groups:P

Ah,I cannot say the same about the previous generation.They treat these videos as wonders of the world and forward them to all they hold near and dear as if they're sharing with them the most precious visions of the universe. Maybe it does mean more to them than it does to us.Now,my parents are on Whatsapp and spend quite a lot of their time sending me the choicest of their forwards,most of which I don't even see:P I do,however,text them.

When I tell my mother that I'm going somewhere,her response has changed from Take care to Send pics.I faithfully do that because it gives them a view of my life and makes them feel as if they're living it with me:) At times,however,it gets annoying.I am someone who loves words.Therefore,most of my dps are quotes(which gets me labelled as an eccentric,but hey,does it look like I care!:P) and my about would be a cryptic line that makes sense to me.My parents started taking both these very seriously and questioning me about what these meant everyday.*facepalm*

Today,on a Sunday evening that used to mean hours of talk at one point in time,I see everyone engrossed in their phones.My mom is showing my grandpa a video of something she finds fascinating.He watches on with glee.My dad is lost in his computer.Noone complains that I don't talk.I look at them in mock horror and wonder if I've unleashed a monster that calls itself a smartphone.

I feel like I've created Frankenstein.

P.S:The title is a reference to a very recent episode of Halt and Catch Fire.

Despite the rather grim ending(which was unintentional btw),I don't believe it's that bad.As society evolves,so do the channels of communication. We find different ways to connect.

P.P.S:I looked it up, and as I guessed, Carpal tunnel isn't relevant to a swiper. The malady I've to fear goes by the name Swiper's thumb,  I believe :D

Comments