Featured Posts of 2019

Moments: A dog called Turbo

 In the recent couple of months, I have found it exceedingly hard to write. My city and country have been ravaged by the pandemic, and I have been struggling to remain positive. My work desk faces one of the busiest junctions in Bangalore, and for the past couple of weeks the ambulances have been wailing non-stop. I hear them even in my nightmares, and I so badly wish they would stop. I stopped reading the news, I stopped looking at the bleak statistics, but somehow I cannot shut out the ambulance sounds. I shudder at the thought of all the people who are sick, and are not even able to receive timely medical intervention. I am pained by the thought of so many people losing their near and dear ones. I worry so much about my own first circle. I try to go down for a walk everyday, because it is a very fine thread that my sanity is hanging by, and that thread is this walk.

Today too, I promptly stepped out with my husband around 6. We got into the lift and were instantly lost in our phones. The lift stopped a few floors down, and I looked up. There was a lady with a leash, and she hesitatingly asked me: Do you mind if I come in? I looked to the side, and saw the shadow of a dog. Although I'm skittish around dogs, I adore them. It'd been a month since I spent time with Ginger back at my in-laws' place in Mysore, and I really missed the feeling. Not at all, I nodded to her. Her dog bounded in before she could step in, and he was a beautiful golden retriever, an unbridled shaggy bundle of energy. He immediately jumped up and licked my arm, bent down and licked my feet and then jumped up and down panting, before even I could register what was happening. He was one of the friendliest dogs I've ever met, and it felt wonderful being around him.

My husband reached out and petted him. I imagined how the soft golden fur on his lovely head would feel, but I was too scared to reach out. Instead, I just watched him and smiled. What's his name? asked my husband. Turbo, the owner replied. My husband and I looked at each other and chuckled: How fitting! The lift arrived at the ground floor, and no sooner than the doors opened, Turbo was out running, his owner following him. We watched him run all the way to the gate, and then he vanished. For the short span of those two minutes, I forgot the pleading wail of the ambulances. I only remembered the dog that couldn't stay still, he of the golden fur and boundless energy, he who ran towards life and embraced it with so much joy. Turbo.

Dear Reader, these times are bleak. But we must try and find our Turbos, and pass on the good cheer, especially to those who need our support. I hope you stay safe and healthy!

Comments