Featured Posts of 2019

Drabble: On homecoming

On a rather chilly downcast day where the weather could not make up its mind as to whether rain was on its agenda, I found myself traveling to Electronic City. It had been two months since I had last visited. An entire 60 days without having seen this place--a year ago this
would have been unimaginable. But somehow, today it is my reality.

Image result for electronic city flyover

As we crossed the infamous Silk Board and took the elevated expressway, I was struck with a feeling of utter nostalgia. There was something about this flyover that made me happy. Logically, for people who travel to El City from the other end of Bangalore, this is the easiest part of their journey. The last leg, where they can comfortably sigh in relief because this is one road that isn't going to be jammed. It is a pleasant luxury, because if one day you took the route under the flyover, you would see the difference. Logically, that's how it is.

Emotionally though, it's different, at least for me. It's that feeling of going home. That feeling of a warm cozy hearth near at hand. That feeling of "everything will be alright now". I have taken this flyover back to college countless times, and it's always been that way. It's the part where I introspect over the day, and stare out into the inky blackness that is intermittently pierced by the lights. It looks picturesque at night, and tonight, I look back and recall the past two years and smile fondly. They were a wonderful gift. I wouldn't trade them for anything.

I stepped into college, and that feeling of home again engulfed me powerfully. I felt at peace with the world, if that even makes sense. Even the last bit of turbulence in my soul was soothed away by this place I've come to love. My problems seemed tiny and insignificant in this scheme of things. I spent the evening catching up with people I had sorely missed these few months and the night in one of those existential conversations that span all topics in the world.

I slept around 2. Somehow, I found myself up at 6 in the morning. And when I opened my eyes, the first thing that came to my mind was that I was actually here. I smiled at that thought and thanked the universe for making it happen.

Ironically, one of the things I have to do this weekend is to start packing and planning how to move out. I've been in denial all this while, but now that I actually have a deadline, I have to bring myself to do it. All that I've called a life, loaded into a set of bags and carried away to someplace new. But then, there's life for you. Journeys.:)

As much as I rhapsodize about this place, I know deep down that it's the people that make it so wonderful. For home is never a place, it's a feeling. I am really grateful to have had two places to call "home" these two years. And as I say goodbye to one, I can only hope and wish that I find another elsewhere. :)

 
Image result for home is not a place

Comments