Featured Posts of 2019

The lockdown journal: Gratitude

Yesterday, I watched a video of a migrant worker break down as he was offered food--it was heart-wrenching, and I had tears in my eyes just from watching it. I wondered how hungry he had been, and when he had last gotten a decent meal. He must have been deprived of work, and of his meager income therefrom. Soon, within no time at all, the first line of Maslow's pyramid, food shelter and clothing, must have vanished into thin air, leaving him desolate, both physically and mentally. Can you imagine how harrowing this could be? I, for one, find it hard to, never having known hunger or homelessness. I am sure I am not wrong in assuming that you too, Reader, come from a place of privilege. Yet, such is the harsh reality of lockdown for several people who live in our country, India.

I am not trivializing your struggles or mine. I agree that they are real, that we have problems too. But it is important to re-orient our perspectives on the situation, to feel truly grateful for what we have, for how privileged we are. It is only then that we can do something to help our countrymen, in whatever ways we can. I came across the below picture on social media, which I have recently grown to detest even more than usual, but I was really happy to see that someone out there, was asking people to be grateful. I write this aspiring to pass on that baton of gratitude to you.




Join me, and take a minute to acknowledge all that we are blessed to have today. We might miss our parents and families, but we have the luxury of video calling them. We might be struggling to cook and clean, but we do have our homes and kitchens. We complain of distractions while we work from home, but we still have a job. We have the luxury to ponder about figurative existential crises. We have the privilege to discuss the psychological consequences of the lockdown such as depression and anxiety. We are fortunate in so many ways. Tell yourself this, every morning, every evening. It is only when we start feeling that gratitude fill us that we can think about helping others, in whatever way we can. 

Feel grateful, and make the experience of living meaningful. I hope and pray that you find strength, courage and hope! :)

Comments